Company: Susquehanna Workforce Network, Inc.
Job description: Career Specialist
This position is responsible for assisting Youth and Young Adult job seekers in establishing realistic employment goals and providing step-by-step plans to achieve those goals. Collaborates with the competitively procured youth vendors in the implementation of Youth and Youth Adult Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) services. Provides outreach to community groups serving the general Youth and Young Adult population. This position reports to the Performance and Youth Coordinator.
Essential Job Functions:
Career Advising and Planning:
- Assists and instructs Youth and Young Adult job seekers in using Workforce Center Services.
- Conducts workshops and assessments to develop appropriate plans for employment.
- Interviews Youth and Young Adult job seekers to determine program eligibility and career goals; discusses work history and assesses barrier; assists job seekers in resolving barriers and in developing and maintaining appropriate service strategies which consider the job seeker’s needs as well as the needs and expectations of the labor market.
- Refers job seekers to appropriate employment opportunities and services that may include assessments, workshops, remediation/GED, rehabilitation, job training, work experience and other community services.
- Provides access to WIOA required Program Elements for Youth and Young Adults.
- Assist the Performance and Youth Coordinator in the development and sustainability of Work Experience Programs and other Youth funded programs.
- Assist with outreach activities.
Data Entry and File Management:
- Enters services and service updates for Youth and Young Adult into computer system.
- Conducts follow up and retention activities including certification attainment, verification of wages and continuing employment.
- Conducts quality control of Youth and Young Adult files and assists with monitoring performance data for all Youth funded programs.
- Maintains communication with job seeker to keep them motivated and engaged and to address job search concerns.
- Assist Youth and Young Adult job seekers with preparing resumes, job searches, and identifying employment opportunities and labor market information; use of word processing and internet required.
- Assist job seeker in developing training requests, determining costs and timelines, researching training vendors for appropriate training programs, and identifying service needs.
- Provide technical assistance to year-round youth vendors.
- Maintains case records and activities including detailed eligibility documentation and case notes in BROCRIP format.
- Monitors youth vendors for adherence to service strategies and WIOA requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: * Knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws and regulations regarding youth employment.
- Knowledge of WIOA Youth and Young Adult eligibility requirements.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of client and business information.
- Thorough knowledge, skills, and abilities in providing employment counseling to Youth and Young Adult job seekers with barriers to employment and differing abilities.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities in human relations and strong interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities to communicate effectively orally and in writing (including email, text and other electronic means) within and outside the organization.
- Skills and ability to organize, plan and execute work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use computer and related software for word processing, presentations, databases, and internet.
- Skills and ability to present information in workshops, briefings, and presentations.
Required Qualifications: (Note: Any acceptable combination of education, training and experience that provides the above knowledge, skill and abilities may be substituted.)
Training and/or Education
Bachelor’s degree in related field
Experience related to counseling, case management, Youth and/or Young Adult guidance, employment services, interviewing, goal setting, customer service and computer skills.
Licenses or Certificates
Work performed primarily in an office setting, sitting at a desk or computer. However, may require some walking, standing and regional business travel.
The work involves frequent interruptions and occasional deadline pressure.
Deadline to apply
Position will remain open until filled.
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Job date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 07:25:48 GMT
Apply for the job now!