Company: Berkeley Lab
Job description: Berkeley Lab’s (ESnet) Department has an opening for an Early Career Unix Systems Engineer to join the Infrastructure Group. The Infrastructure group deploys, manages, and supports ESnet’s computing infrastructure. In this position, the Junior Systems Engineer will be responsible for providing tier one support services, escalating to senior engineers as necessary, triaging incoming requests and performing routine computing support tasks during business hours. This position will also assist senior engineers, as assigned, on tasks related to ongoing projects and maintenance efforts.
What You Will Do:
- Triage incoming requests and incident tickets.
- Assist in the monitoring of the infrastructure mailing list queue and infrastructure slack channel.
- Provide tier one support (user accounting, collaboration tools, user/client-side software configuration, mailing list requests, etc.).
- Assist senior engineers with systems administration and architecture tasks (e.g., operating system installation, configuration, package management, and storage administration).
- Rack, connect, and power computing and network hardware (and the analogous decommissioning steps).
- Ship and receive hardware.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years of systems or support experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic understanding of Linux/Unix systems administration concepts and command line environments.
- Experience configuring desktop applications and operating systems.
- Basic familiarity and understanding of source code control.
- Exposure to scripting and/or interpreted languages (e.g., shell scripting and python).
- Understanding of basic concepts of monitoring systems and their interfaces.
- Familiarity with directory service concepts (i.e., LDAP).
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively.
- This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position will be remote initially, but limited to individuals residing in the United States tentatively due to COVID-19. Once the Bay Area shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
Job date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 00:31:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!